Saturday 28 September 2013

Southern California Honeymoon and Caching (Part One: The Prep)

So sorry for the long hiatus.  Busyness, tiredness and lack of motivation held be back from writing, but I think I can start again now, so here we GO!

In October (the 1st to be exact) my wife and I left the cold rainy weather of British Columbia for the warm and wonderful land of Southern California for our Honeymoon.
The past few days in Victoria had been like a monsoon.  Rain and wind were all we were seeing, so we were very looking forward to skipping town.

My wife had never been to California before , and on top of that had never been to Disneyland unlike myself who had been when I was 12. So this trip was all about that.  But as a avid geocacher I of course had to look to see what was in the area, and what I could grab while I was there.

I was shocked to not find too many in the Anaheim area, none of which I could easily just take off to.  After all I am here to be on my honeymoon and ride the rides, so dismissing myself from my wife to go grab a cache not to close by would be treading on dangerous territory.

There was however a couple of Virtual Caches inside Disneyland.
For my non-geocaching readers a virtual cache is this:
Virtual Caches are coordinates for a location, which has some other described object. Validation for finding a virtual cache generally requires one to email the cache hider with information such as a date or a name on a plaque, or to post a picture of oneself at the site with GPS receiver in hand.
So I took a look at these, and started with the two closest to the gate.  Well to my surprise, this was not really a nice easy virtual.  No in fact it was a Virtual-Multistage Cache, and had 13 stages! Needless to say this one did not make it onto my GPS!! Like I said above I am on my Honeymoon and paid to ride the rides, not collect info from 13 different locations around the park.  So I looked at the next one over near Frontier Land and thankfully it was a regular one.  Also near that one was an Earthcache, and the requirements for that seemed nice and easy.  So it was loaded up too.

Since we were going to be at Knott's Berry Farm, I looked up that area too.  One virtual, and it was like the first ones in Disneyland (13 stages), so I skipped it.  Looked up Hollywood, and there was nothing feasible for me to do there too.  So I didn't load up any of those either.
That left one more place to look at, and that was San Diego.  And what did I find there????  I hit the the jackpot!!  There was a virtual inside the Zoo and another at Sea World, a small power trail next to the San Diego River that would lead right to Ocean Beach where I could also nab a Webcam Cache (a rare cache type).

So there I had it, a nice list of caches to do that should not take away from the experience of being on my Honeymoon.  I discussed the details with my wife and she was fine with it. In fact she was better than fine, she was excited. And so the adventure was soon to begin.

Check out Part Two (coming soon) to read about the trip and the caching!

Pictures Of Caching Areas 
(click on images to enlarge)

Disneyland

Knott's Berry Farm

Universal Studios


San Diego 


No comments:

Post a Comment